Sunday, September 17, 2017

Nelia W. Dunbar, New Mexico State Geologist



Nelia W. Dunbar has been named New Mexico State Geologist. According to her web site, “As director of the New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, I am responsible for overseeing the research and service activities of the state geological survey. I work closely with many of the staff to keep current on their activities, and to provide advice when needed. I report to the president of New Mexico Tech, who I keep informed about bureau activities and events. I represent the bureau at the state legislature, to other state agencies, and at national meetings. I serve as the New Mexico representative to the American Association of State Geologists organization. My scientific background is in geochemistry, mainly in the study of volcanic rocks, and I received funding for, and previously directed the electron microprobe laboratory, where I now act as advisor. I am an adjunct faculty member in the Earth and Environmental Science department at New Mexico Tech, where I have taught classes and advised graduate students.”

No comments: